Welcome to the Monash PoCUS program! PoCUS (focused) ultrasound training and credentialing is offered to all Emergency department registrars, fellows and consultants in core ultrasound modules (see ED program structure below). We are also introducing training for Critical Care HMO3 during ED rotations in 2022 (basic modules).
The heart of our PoCUS program is one-to-one ultrasound skills training with dedicated sonographer educators in the clinical environment. Prior to commencing with the program, we require completion of a Monash Health BASICS course OR a recent external approved PoCUS course. If you hold recognised ultrasound credentials (eg ASUM CCPU, GradCertUS) please email us to make appropriate arrangements for recognition and be inducted to our program.
Once you have started with the PoCUS program, unlimited one-to-one training sessions are available to develop, finesse and refresh your skills anytime. We recommend an annual refresher session to maintain good scanning and interpretive ultrasound skills once you are credentialed in any modules.
New to Monash or interested to get involved? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
EMERGENCY PoCUS courses 2022 (updated)
Fri 7 Oct ED ADVANCED course REN, RUQ, DVT, LUNG *must be eFAST credentialed
Wed 12 Oct ED BASICS course VA, eFAST, AAA
Fri 4 Nov ED ADVANCED course 1 BELS/FELS ECHO *must be eFAST credentialed
ED PoCUS courses are open to Monash Health Emergency registrars, fellows and consultants. ED BASICS courses are also open to Critical Care HMO3 during ED rotation.
All PoCUS training time is ACEM CME accredited (courses & one-to-one training with sonographer educators). CME certificates provided upon request.
Book courses or one to one training sessions online https://pocusprogram.simplybook.me/v2/
- ADVANCED courses require completion of eFAST module credentialing prior to commencing this training (see program structure diagram).
- Only book yourself for one BASICS course – it is a single day course 9am-4pm.
- After completing the BASICS course, you will be required to book 1:1 training sessions at times to suit your schedule to continue to develop your scanning skills and achieve credentialing (instructions on how to do this will be given at course day).
- Please DO NOT start your PoCUS BASICS training if you will be unable to dedicate time following the course to continue training and logging cases required to complete credentialing (eg exams, leave, external rotation).
- Evening MASTERCLASSES are specifically designed for refreshing & upskilling, particularly aimed at busy consultants. We tailor these session to suit a range of needs from the very experienced to the very rusty.
EMERGENCY PoCUS GOVERNANCE GROUP & FACULTY
Carolynne Cormack BAppSc(MedRad) GDUlt GCHPE FASA AMS Sonographer Educator
Leah Kallos BMedRadSc GDMU AMS Sonographer Educator
Claire O’Reilly BMedRadSc GDMU AMS Sonographer Educator
Katherine Ortiz BTech AMS (Card) Sonographer Educator (Cardiac)
Jenny Fong BTech AMS (Card) Sonographer Educator (Cardiac)
Dr Andre Vanzyl MBBS FACEM CCPU Emergency Consultant
Dr Igor Tulchinsky MBBS FACEM Emergency Consultant
Dr Brad Dick MBBS FACEM Emergency Consultant
Dr Melody Hiew MBBS FACEM CCPU Emergency Consultant
Dr Ciaran Joyce MB BCh BAO FACEM Emergency Consultant
Dr Yan Wang MBBS FACEM Emergency Consultant
A Prof Pourya Pouryahya MD FACEM CCPU GCert(ClinEpid) MTrauma Emergency Consultant
Dr Ruwan Mendis MBBS FACEM Emergency Consultant
Dr Liam Ryan MBBS FACEM Emergency Consultant
Dr Anthony Navaretti MBBS CCPU Emergency Registrar
Dr Neil Goldie Service Director Emergency, Monash Health
A Prof Ronnie Ptasznik Service Director Diagnostic Imaging, Monash Health
A Prof Phil Mottram Director Non-Invasive Imaging, MonashHeart, Monash Health